Vivek ChibberAssociate Professor of Sociology
Ph.D. 1999 (Sociology), University of Wisconsin; M.A. 1991 (Sociology), University of Wisconsin; B.A. 1987 (Political Science), Northwestern University
Office Address: 295 Lafayette St., Room 4120
Phone: (212) 998-3541
Areas of Research/Interest: Economic sociology; sociology of development; Marxian theory; political sociology; comparative-historical sociology; social theory.
Click here to download the CV
link to Princeton University Press webpage for Locked in Place
- Distinguished Publication Award, American Sociological Association 2006, honorable mention.
- Barrington Moore Jr. Prize, American Sociological Association 2005.
- Selected as Outstanding Academic Title in 2004, Choice Magazine
- Mirra Komarovsky Award, Eastern Sociological Association 2005, honorable mention
- Distinguished publication award, Political Sociology Section of the American Sociological Association 2004, for best book in Political Sociology, honorable mention.
ASA Symposium (JEFFERY PAIGE, ELISABETH S. CLEMENS, LEO PANITCH, with response by VIVEK CHIBBER) Comparative and Historical Sociology
[Downlaod/read: ASA Symposium.pdf, 1.7mb]
- G. BALACHANDRAN, Indian Economic Social History Review
[Download/read: review-balachandran.pdf, 177kb]
- TERENCE J. BYRES, Journal of Agrarian Change
[Download/read: review-byres.pdf, 42kb]
- RONALD J. HERRING, Perspectives on Politics
[Download/read: review-herring.pdf, 48kb]
- LISA A. KEISTER, American Journal of Sociology
[Download/read: review-keister.pdf, 30kb]
- RICHARD LACHMANN, Social Forces
[Download/read: review-lachmann.pdf, 60kb]
- EUN MEE KIM, Contemporary Sociology
[Download/read: review-kim.pdf, 67kb]
- JEFFERY PAIGE, Comparative and Historical Sociology
[Downlaod/read: review-paige.pdf, 1.7mb]
- ACHIN VANAIK, New Left Review
[Download/read: review-vanaik.pdf, 365kb]
- ROBERT HUNTER WADE, Arch.europ.sociol.
[Download/read: review-wade.pdf, 43kb]
"On the Decline of Class Analysis in South Asian Studies," Critical Asian Studies, 2006, 38:4. [Download/read: decline.class.analysis.pdf, 194kb]
"The Good Empire," The Boston Review, February/March 2005. [Download/read: goodempire.pdf, 396kb]
"From Class Compromise to Class Accommodation: Labor’s Incorporation into the Indian Political Economy", in Mary Katzenstein and Raka Ray, Social Movements and Poverty in India, (Rowman and Littlefield, 2005). [Download/read: compromise.pdf, 587kb]
"The Return of Imperialism to Social Science", Archives de Europeenes de Sociologie-The European Journal of Sociology, December, 2004. [Download/read: imperial.pdf, 194kb]
"Reviving the Developmental State? The Myth of the 'National Bourgeoisie'," Socialist Register 2005. [Download/read: reviving.pdf, 74kb]
"Bureaucratic Rationality and the Developmental State," American Journal of Sociology, January 2002, (Volume 107:4). [Download/read: ajs.jan.2002.pdf, 171kb]
"Building a Developmental State: The Korean Case Reconsidered," Politics & Society, September 1999, Vol 27 No. 3, (Sage Publications, Inc.). [Download/read: building.developmental.pdf, 130kb]
"Breaching the Nadu: Lordship and Economic Development in Medieval South India", The Journal of Peasant Studies, 26(3), October 1998. [Download/read: breaching.pdf, 592kb]